Friday 1 April 2011

Pages and Pages of 12cm Plastic Pieces

Life is full of challenges, these challenges depending on your character, state of mind and overall persona can affect you in different ways.  People that know me would tell you that I usually don't let challenges affect me and I try my best to tackle them head on, sometimes this hasn't always been the best choice but hey.
On Monday I got presented with my newest challenge, this challenge being given my first official residency in a club - don't get me wrong this is an absolute honor and I am really looking forward to entertaining the masses of Lava Ignite Preston on a weekly basis but the challenge comes on a few fronts; 
Do I take this as an individual gig every week? 
Do I try and build a persona that visitors to the club will remember me by? 
Should I build my sets any differently to what I would if I wasn't returning the next week?

The thing is, having thought about it why should I change anything I have done over the last 18 months since first plugging in my headphones because at the end of the day thats why I am where I am, thats why I am being given a free lead to do whatever I please in my own room in Preston's largest nightclub and thats where I realised something further;

As a DJ whats the point in sitting infront of your CD books before a gig reading through your tunes, yea you can sit and picture which tunes drop well, what to use with what acapella but at the end of the day the one thing you can far from picture is the reaction to the reason we have this job...the people walking through the club doors looking to be entertained, thats why for that reason and that reason good DJs aren't always the one who has the best bag, the biggest ego, the most recent tunes.  A good DJ is so because on the atmosphere of a room when they plug in their headphones, the reaction to a drop; they can picture the rest of their set, the rest of their night and pull the CDs from the bag, select the tracks they want on their CDJ from not only what comes from their head but what comes from their heart.  If a club owner, promoter or anyone else has had the faith to give you the responsibility to entertain their customers, their clients, their friends....have some faith in yourself and rely on your heart, not hours spent looking at pages and pages of 12cm plastic pieces

No comments:

Post a Comment